The Piaristischenkirche stands high above the village of Krems, Worth the climb – both the views and the interior are lovely.
In an interesting interfaith gesture, at the Piaristischenkirche there is a very old late 14th century Grabstein of the Rabbi Nehemia Bar Jakob (died 1380 or 1396), along with a transcription on a transparent plaque, erected by Dr. Martha Keil, Institut für Geschichte der Juden in Österreich, in 2000.
The history of Jews in Krems since the 12th century is, as in most Austrian towns, one of continual settlement, violent upheaval and pogroms, resettlement, and exile. (See http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/judaica/ejud_0002_0012_0_11602.html.) Sadly, the historic synagogue at Krems was demolished in the 1970’s because there were insufficient funds to maintain it. (Krinsky, “Synagogues of Europe,” p. 98).